Workshops, Inc. enriches lives by providing vocational training, employment opportunities and support services to people with disabilities in Central Alabama.
Our vision is that every person with a disability in Central Alabama who wants a job gets a job.
Who does your organization benefit/serve?
Workshops, Inc. serves people with disabilities and other barriers to employment – helping them achieve their highest vocational potential and participate more fully in the life of the community through employment. Ultimately our entire community benefits!
- On an economic level, Workshops, Inc. is helping people move from beneficiaries of entitlement benefits to becoming tax paying citizens.
- On a more human level, we know that businesses are often more successful when they have a workforce that better represents the community they serve, and adding people with disabilities to a workforce can make changes in a business’ bottom line as well as perception among customers and other staff.
- The people we serve benefit from having jobs and the opportunity to train to be a good employee. Whether we help them find the right job in the community or they stay on with Workshops for months or years, it’s not just the paycheck that is important (although it certainly is important) – but having a job gives one a sense of purpose and pride, a sense of belonging, and an opportunity to give back to the community.
What makes your organization unique?
There are several aspects of our work that make Workshops, Inc. unique:
- First, we offer employment preparation and placement services as well as longer-term employment for those who need to work in a more sheltered workplace for an extended period of time.
- Unlike many nonprofits, Workshops, Inc.’s largest funding source is earned income. In 2016, 38% of our revenue came from business customers – over 100 local businesses who outsource handwork to Workshops, Inc. Business customers benefit from quick turnaround, quality work and competitive prices; Workshops, Inc. benefits from having work for employees and trainees; and employees and trainees benefit by getting paid to complete these handwork tasks which also provide the opportunity to learn and practice the essential skills of employment.
- While our mission is to serve people with disabilities, we do this in a work environment that includes people of all abilities. It is important for us to follow the best practices in the field of disability employment, which includes providing training and employment opportunities for people in work environments comprised of people from a diverse background.
- Because of our commitment to best practices, Workshops, Inc. applied for and received the Standards for Excellence seal of approval from the Standards for Excellence Institute. This accreditation is awarded exclusively to nonprofit organizations that prove their commitment to the highest standards of ethics, effectiveness and accountability in governance, management and operations. Workshops, Inc. is one of only 4 fully accredited organizations in the Birmingham area.
Tell us why your organization deserves to win Uptick’s Marketing Magic City Makeover Competition!
Workshops, Inc. has been positively transforming the lives of people with disabilities in Birmingham for 117 years. We not only excel at what we do, but we also assertively pursue best practices in our field of disability employment and in nonprofit administration, stewardship and transparency.
We think you should choose Workshops, Inc. for the Magic City Marketing Makeover because we believe we would be able to demonstrate the most measurable results of a marketing campaign. While most organizations would simply benefit from increased public knowledge of their organization, at Workshops, Inc., when we recruit new business customers, their patronage translates directly into jobs and training opportunities for people with disabilities and other barriers to employment. The more business customers we have, the more people we can serve. As we enhance our marketing efforts – especially those directed toward business customers – we will be able to show tangible results of these marketing efforts.
They Need Your Vote!
Voting ends March 28, 2017 – so remember to cast your vote today!
You get 3 votes:
1.) The official Cast Your Vote Page
2.) Visit the Uptick Marketing Facebook page, find the post about your favorite organization and “like” it!
3.) Share the same post (see #2) on Facebook!