Google made a new update to the way your Google+ Local profile displays pictures. This new much-needed feature helps people understand more about your business. Just like the old saying, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” With this new feature, people can learn even more about your business before ever visiting your store or office.
Why should you use this new feature: Because Google wants you to. There is no doubt that Google is the king of search engines and if they add a new feature, those who use it tend to see the benefits. It very well may help your business show up better in local search results.
Getting Started with Google’s New Picture Feature
It’s simple! Just log into your Google Business page and click on the manage photos button. Then, you’ll notice Google has different albums you can save pictures. Below is a quick outline of the different types of photos now available on Google Local.
Google Local Optimization: Types of Photos Available
- Profile Photo – Add a profile photo so that your customers can recognize your business on Google. Your profile photo will be featured next to your business name on your Google+ page. Your profile can be a different photo from your business logo, which should be added in the “logo” section.
- Cover Photo – Add a cover photo to showcase your page’s personality. Your cover photo is the large photo featured at the top of your Google+ page. Note that this photo will be cropped to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio. We highly recommend that your cover photo provides information about your products or services and may even include a call-to-action.
- Company Logo – Add your logo to help customers identify your business. Square-sized logos display best on Google. You can choose to make your logo serve as your profile photo. Your logo won’t appear on your Google+ page, but you can choose it to represent your business on maps and search by following the steps below.
- First Photo on Google Maps and Search – Select the photo that you want your customers to see alongside your business name on Google maps and search. To change this photo, choose the three dash menu icon, and click profile, logo or cover.
- Business-Specific Photos – Add these photos to spotlight features of your business that your customers use when making purchasing decisions. These include interior photos, exterior photos, photos at work, and team photos. Google recommends adding at least 3 of each.
Google has given best practice for these photos.
How to Format Your Photos for Google Local Optimization Pictures
Your photos will look best on Google if they meet the following standards:
- Format: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP
- Size: Between 10KB and 5MB
- Minimum resolution: 250px on the longest side for profile and logo photos; 720px on the longest side for other business photos
- Aspect ratio: The longer dimension of the photo should be no more than four times the shorter dimension. Landscape photos look better than portrait photos on Google products. Panoramic photos may use different aspect ratios.
- Quality: The photo should be in focus, well-lit, have no photoshop alterations, and no excessive use of filters. The image should represent reality.
The next time you have a professional photographer on site, have them take several photos of your business. People will make impressions of your business based on what they see online and Google wants you to use these new features!