Without a doubt, ad retargeting is a powerful way to put your ad in front of the right people at the right time and lure them back to your website.
When discussing ad retargeting, clients ask us what kind of budget they should go with and ask if we can give them a traffic estimate. Google does this for AdWords so people expect this, but even they have a really hard time with this being accurate information.
Unfortunately, we can’t give clients a traffic estimate because there are so many variables, such as:
- How good is your ad? You may get an impression but that doesn’t mean you get a click.
- What is the geographic area your ad will show in?
- How long will your retargeting ad run?
- What is your current traffic? ( This is important because a person with 1,000 unique visitors a month can’t show as many ads as a company with 20,000 unique visitors a month)
Suffice to say, a strong ad that is carefully targeted and run for the correct length will usually result in favorable traffic. Projecting budget with ad retargeting is a bit easier. We can provide suggestions of how much to budget to get a “share of voice”.
Here is how Wikipedia defines share of voice:
“Share of Voice in online advertising is an ad revenue model that focuses on weight or percentage among other advertisers. For example, if there are four advertisers on a website, each advertiser gets 25 percent of the advertising weight. This method ensures one ad will not be seen any more than the other three ads. And, since there are typically a limited number of advertisers using a Share of Voice model, ad exposure is optimized.”
In other words, if you don’t spend enough, your ad will not be seen enough to matter. So, if we decided to re-target visitors for 90 days across the US, here are the suggestions for the spend, based on current traffic, to get share of voice:
- 3,000 – 10,000 Unique Visitors per Month : $50 – $175 per week
- 10,000 – 25,000 Unique Visitors per Month : $175 – $450 per week
- 25,000 – 50,000 Unique Visitors per Month : $450 – $900 per week
- 50,000 – 100,000 Unique Visitors per Month : $900 – $1800 per week
Of course this is a ball park – specific estimates may vary depending on your particular situation – but it’s a good start. Ad retargeting can be exceptionally useful for a business looking to grow awareness and market share. If you have any questions about ad retargeting, feel free to contact us; we’ll be more than happy to help